While some weeks I’m inspired by my throwback recipe (below) as a topic for BfoB, this week I couldn’t seem to narrow it down to one specific topic. I saw lots of fabulous brunch ideas, Easter recipes and – tying in with my throwback pick – plenty of late winter/early spring citrus. Any of these would make a fine addition to an April brunch – so start planning the brunch event that will give you the excuse to try some of these!
- The Baking Fairy‘s Easter Nest Italian Cream Cake is absolutely adorable and would be a fantasic centerpiece at any Easter event. The tender cake is made with a mixture of butter and coconut oil, for a very tender crumb, and it is loaded with coconut milk and sweetened, shredded coconut, as well. The cake is topped with a vanilla frosting that is completely covered with toasted coconut to give the cake the look of a nest, then chocolate eggs are piled in the center to complete the look.
- Cookie Madness has combined two of my favorite breakfast items in her New York Style Crumb Cake Muffin Tops. The muffin tops are a twist on a traditional crumb cake, with a light cake base that is topped with a buttery cinnamon and brown sugar streusel. Crumb cakes are known for having large crumbs and these muffin tops will not disappoint. You will need a special pan for best results, but believe me when I say that you’ll probably use this pan more often than you might think.
- I’ve been enjoying some guava desserts recently, so Food Fanatic‘s Mini Guava Cheesecakes certainly caught my eye. Sweet guava and tangy cream cheese is a combination that works very well and these cheesecakes support that fact nicely. The individual cheesecakes are baked on a graham cracker crust and are flavored with vanilla. Each one is topped with a swirl of rich guava paste, which not only tastes delicious, but gives the cheesecakes a beautiful finished look.
- Carrot cake is a delicious spice cake that pops up on one of my dessert menus every spring. The Carrot Cake Oatmeal Cookies from Two Peas and Their Pod are an easy twist on the usual layer cake that is sure to be a hit. The cake-like cookies are packed with cinnamon and nutmeg, as well as with shredded carrots, oatmeal, coconut and raisins. After baking, the cookies are drizzled with a cream cheese glaze that is a nod to the cream cheese frosting traditionally used to finish off carrot cakes. They’re easy to make and a great seasonal snack!
- Recipe Throwback: I think that these Mini Lemon Donut Muffins are one of the most fun treats you can add to your brunch menu. The sugary muffins have a crisp coating reminiscent of a sugared donut and are packed with homemade lemon curd. Since they’re minis, each one is about two bites. They’re fun to make and delicious to eat, with a combination of crisp sugar, tender muffin and creamy lemon curd in every bite.