- On a hot summer day, an icebox cake is always a good choice for dessert because you don’t need to turn on your oven to prepare one. The Neapolitan Ice Box Cake from Bakers Royale is a showstopping cake, with dramatic layers of chocolate graham crackers, three flavors of Swiss meringue buttercream and topped off with chocolate cream cheese icing and chocolate glaze. It sounds like it would be a very sweet dessert, but the Swiss meringue buttercream isn’t too sweet and allows the strawberry puree, chocolate and vanilla that flavor it to stand out – and those chocolate graham crackers (or chocolate wafer cookies) have a nice bittersweet note to them, too. The cake can be assembled well in advance and stored in the freezer until you’re ready to serve it.
- It is hard to beat a classic blueberry muffin, which is why you’ll see them in just about every bakery and coffee shop out there. As good as they are, it is always nice to be able to put a little spin on them for a change of pace and The Messy Baker‘s Blueberry Cinnamon Chip Muffins have just enough of a twist to keep things interesting. The muffins are loaded with juicy blueberries and flavored both with ground cinnamon and cinnamon chips, a cinnamon-flavored baking chip that you can find in most grocery stores. The strong cinnamon chips are sweet, but are tempered by the rest of the muffin and just add a great cinnamon flavor to this classic muffin.
- Creamy ice cream and fudgy brownies are a good match, and they’re even better when you can put those brownies right into your homemade ice cream so that you get some in every bite. The Vanilla Malted Brownie Ice Cream that Nutmeg Nanny made recently is a great place for brownie lovers to start. The ice cream is a rich, custard-style ice cream made with plenty of egg yolks and is flavored with vanilla and malted milk powder. The brownies are also homemade here, and stirred into the ice cream after the base has been churned. It’s a simple combination, but when everything is made from scratch, even simple things can turn out to be something special.
- Are you a kahlua fan? If so, than the White Russian Cupcakes baked up by PehNOMenal might be right up your alley. These cupcakes were inspired by a white Russian cocktail, and are definitely a cupcake for grown-ups. The cupcakes themselves use both kahlua and vanilla vodka in the batter, and the buttercream frosting is also generously spiked with the coffee liquor. These cupcakes would be perfect for a more adult birthday party or even a dinner party when you want to serve a playful twist on the well-known cocktail.
- Cait’s Plate‘s Pretzel Bottom Reeses Pieces Brownies are a good place to start the next time you’re looking for a recipe that features both salty and sweet elements. The brownies are made with both chocolate chips and peanut butter Reeses Pieces, both of which are melted directly into the brownie batter and give it a nice chocolate and peanut butter flavor. The brownies are baked on top of a crust made with crushed pretzels, which not only add a crunchy element to the brownies, but add just enough salt to each piece to make this combination a very addictive one.
Jennie @themessybakerblogAugust 15, 2012
Thank you so much for the shout out! I’m so glad you found my muffins delicious enough for a shout out on your blog, which, by the way, I love your site. Can’t wait to follow!