- It’s easy to make an apple crisp in an oven and there are lots of recipes out there to help you do it. But making one over a campfire? That calls for Honey & Jam‘s Apple Crisp Baked in a Dutch Oven. This recipe could be baked in the oven, but there is something appealing about the idea of slow cooking this delicious fruit dessert outdoors and serving up warm bowls full of the crisp while you and your family enjoy a cool fall afternoon. That said, there are also directions for baking this up in the oven, so you can cook it in the house and simply take those bowls outside to eat, if you’re not doing any camping or other outdoor activities that might require you to cook over a fire this fall but you still want to enjoy the season as much as possible.
- The Chocolate Peanut Butter Moon Pies at Une Gamine dans la Cuisine are not dramatic cookies. In fact, they’re relatively plain to look at. But that simply means that the surprise of the three flavorful fillings sandwiched between these buttery shortbread rounds will be that much greater! The fillings are melted dark chocolate, peanut butter and homemade marshmallow fluff. You can’t beat that flavor combination, especially with a tender cookie crust. They hit all the flavors of a classic moon pie in a slightly more easy-to-assemble form.
- Oatmeal raisin cookies are a classic in their own right, but the flavors of a great oatmeal cookie don’t have to be confined to, well, a cookie! Technicolor Kitchen made some Oatmeal Raisin Ice Cream. The ice cream base is flavored with cinnamon and brown sugar, and it is swirled with a sweet, crispy oatmeal praline that infuses the ice cream with an oaty flavor. The raisins are the final addition to this ice cream and they’re soaked in a mixture of sugar and whisky to give them some punch. Now, if oatmeal chocolate chip cookies are more your style, simply substitute chocolate chips for the raisins to capture that cookie in ice cream, too.
- Speaking of ice cream, I tried my hand at turning pumpkin pie into ice cream a few weeks ago with great success and there is no reason that other pies shouldn’t be fair game for ice cream conversions, either. Cherry Tea Cakes turned sweet potato pie into Sweet Potato Ice Cream. This ice cream captures all of the sweet and spicy flavors of sweet potato pie in a version that can be stored in your freezer and enjoyed all holiday season. Eat it plain, top it with caramel sauce or even put a scoop of it on top of a slice of still-warm pecan pie for a double pie dessert!
- Chocolate lovers should sit up and take note of the Chocolate Truffle Tart that Bakers Royale recently whipped up. This tart is almost a chocolate overload, with a rich ganache filling made from high quality bittersweet chocolate and a chocolate pastry tart shell. Serve it in small pieces to other chocolate fans, or put a small dollop of lightly sweetened whipped cream – and some lightly sweetened berries, if you want some color – on each plate so that there is something light and creamy to break up the indulgent richness of all that chocolate.
Why do pie crust recipes approximate the amount of water?
Meyer Lemon Cranberry Upside Down Cake