- Banana puddings haven’t always been a favorite dish of BraveTart and I can’t say that I blame her, because there are plenty of versions made with instant pudding, whipped topping and stale vanilla wafers that definitely aren’t worth the calories. BraveTart’s New Banana Pudding, on the other hand, probably is. It is made with fresh bananas, homemade pastry cream and, most importantly, homemade vanilla wafer cookies. Beautiful and tasty, with a comfort food feel and lots of high quality ingredients.
- Technicolor Kitchen‘s Ginger Crunch Bars have a ginger-spiked shortbread cookie base that is topped off with a generous layer of ginger-kissed icing, for a bar cookie that is reminiscent of gingerbread, but that makes ginger the focal point. These bars are especially good as a contrast to brownies and blondies, bar cookies that tend to be sweet rather than spicy, and would be a great palate cleansing dessert after a heavy, warming winter meal.
- White Russians are a drink made with Kahlua, vodka and cream, a drink that is ultra-creamy and has a kick that you almost don’t notice until you’ve finished. Katiecakes turned this classic into a White Russian Cupcake. The cake itself has Kahlua and vodka in the batter, and there is more Kahlua in the creamy frosting piled on top, too. They’re grown up cupcakes, to be sure, but anyone who has enjoyed the drink is really going to enjoy this twist on it with its great blend of flavors.
- There is an alternative to frying donuts at home and that is baking them at home. You need a special pan, but you can feel a bit better about making some piping hot donuts if you’re worried about the hassle or the added fat of frying. Shutterbean‘s Baked Caramel Apple Donuts are a great place to start. These mini donuts have a cinnamon batter loaded with bits of fresh apple. After baking, they’re dipped in a caramel glaze to give them that caramel apple flavor. Pop these on a little stick – a la real caramel-dipped apples – if you’re going to serve them to a crowd for a cute presentation.
- Adding ingredients like mashed potato to a bread dough can make the dough very soft and tender. In this case, Multiply Delicious used mashed sweet potato to make some Sweet Potato Cinnamon Rolls, with a soft, tender and flavorful crumb. The bread dough has cinnamon and orange zest included in it, along with the sweet potatoes. Once the dough is ready, it is filled with lots of butter, brown sugar, more cinnamon and crunchy pecans. The finished product is one that you would be happy to eat year round, but is really the perfect variation on a cinnamon roll for fall.
Patricia ScarpinSeptember 22, 2010
It always makes me super happy t be mentioned here – yours was the first foreign blog I ever read.
Thank you, Nic!
TracySeptember 22, 2010
thanks for the mention!!! I’ve always loved your blog- what an honor!
HeatherSeptember 22, 2010
Thanks so much for the mention. I’m truly honored!
KatieSeptember 23, 2010
Ahh, thanks for the mention 😀 They sure are cupcakes for grown ups 😉