- You don’t need to start breakfast off with muffins, scones or leftover apple pie – or any of these “traditional” breakfast items. Thinking outside the box a little, you can have brownies for breakfast. Specifically, you might want to try Gluten-Free Goddess‘s Quinoa Breakfast Brownies. These brownies aren’t chocolate, but do have chocolate chips mixed in alongside some raisins, and a chewy texture that will definitely remind you of a fudgy brownie. The bars are made with a blend of wheat-free flours, brown sugar, maple syrup and olive oil.
- Whoever thought of adding chocolate chip cookie dough to ice cream had a great idea. Culinary Concoctions by Peabody took the ice cream out of the equation but kept the cookie dough in Chocolate-Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cookies. These cookies have chunks of soft cookie dough “truffles” in them. They’re not really truffles, but egg-less chocolate chip cookie dough that is very soft and stays soft to give you that cookie dough effect even after baking. Actually – adding ice cream back to these as ice cream sandwiches might not be a bad idea!
- Pears and ginger are a great combination of sweet and spicy. Purple Foodie‘s Pear and Ginger Cake with Walnuts has both in it. The cake here is a simple butter cake with some ground ginger added to it to give it some depth. Sliced pears add a juicy topping to the cake, while the nuts add in a little bit of texture to the fruit. If you have some, candied ginger might make a good addition to this cake, especially if you like your ginger a little on the spicy side.
- If you’re looking for something a little different than the usual chocolate cake for an upcoming birthday, a Raspberry Chiffon Cake might just do the trick. Dodol & Mochi‘s cake is brightly colored and fruity. A chiffon cake is a light cake, similar to angel food cake, that gets a lot of its height from beaten egg whites. This means that the cake is not heavy at all, but still delivers a lot of flavor. The cake has some raspberry puree folded into it before baking to give it color and flavor, and the layers of this cake are spread with raspberry jam.
- The Fruity Apple Spiced Swirls that Passionate Baker made are a great dish for fall, warm and spicy, filled with a mixture of apples, raisins, nuts. The swirls look a lot like cinnamon buns, only turned on their sides. The dough is a bit like a pie or tart dough, so unlike actual cinnamon buns, there is no yeast involved and the finished dough is sturdy enough to hold up to the hearty filling. The added bonus here is that these don’t take that long to whip up and can be ready for an pretty easy winter breakfast on a lazy weekend.
KarinaOctober 7, 2009
Nothing like a sweet round-up of tempting bites to start the day. I’m about to get in the car and drive to California. Fun to see my quinoa breakfast brownies mentioned (xox!). [Guess what I’m bringing for the ride?]
Leopard Dog CoatOctober 7, 2009
I know what you mean. Isn’t it unbelievable?
CheleOctober 7, 2009
Thank you so much for introducing me to such delights as Chocolate-Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cookies. Can’t wait to give these a try!
fearspeakingOctober 7, 2009
Can’t wait to try them..thanks!
The Purple FoodieOctober 8, 2009
I’m so happy you liked the pear and ginger cake post 🙂 thanks for adding it here!
iphoneNovember 9, 2009
Everything will be all right,I am behind you.