I’ve celebrated Pi Day for almost as long as I can remember. I think it started back in junior high school, and while I may have skipped the occasional celebration, it has pretty much always been an event I like to take note of. It’s a bit nerdy, but Pi Day is about celebrating the number pi (3.14) on the date that approximates it (March 14, or 3/14). I celebrate by making and/or eating real pie – and while I’m not going to apologize for celebrating a slightly nerdy “holiday” every year, I’m more than happy to share some of my pie.
- Black Raspberry Pie
- Double Citrus Key Lime Pie
- Pineapple Buttermilk Meringue Pie
- French Silk Pie
- Coconut Cream Pie
- Maple Pecan Pie
- Spinach and Feta Pie
- Coconut Cream Pie Oatmeal
- Lemon Meringue Pie Cupcakes
Pie Gadgets and Tips
- Pie Plates, rated by Cook’s Country
- Adjustable Pie Cutter for cutting a whole pie at once
- Bake-In Pie Spatula gets slices out easily
- Individual Pie Slice Pan – pie for one!
- Pie Gate keeps the fillings in place for runnier pies
- Rolling out pie crust is not as hard has you might think
- The best apples for making pie
JoanneMarch 13, 2009
I don’t think there’s anything “nerdy” about “pi” day. It’s so creative!… and a super excuse to bake and eat pie! Gotta love it.
LindaMarch 13, 2009
I’m making Thin Mint Pie which I posted on my blog a couple days ago!
Sharon PMarch 13, 2009
Your pie gadget list left out the Pie Bird. Apart from the collectors, who accummulate them in every shape and size, serious pie bakers find them very useful. Inserted in the top crust they release the steam and prevent bery juice from spouting up all over the top crust. And they are very cute conversation starters.
Arwen from Hoglet KMarch 16, 2009
Pi day is a great idea. It doesn’t work so well if it’s 14/3 (like in Australia), but any excuse for eating pie sounds good to me.
Debbie VMarch 17, 2009
Another great pie gadget is the pie shield … which keeps the crust from over-browning in the oven! LOVE IT! So much easier than what I grew up using … little pieces of aluminum foil!