It has been another year of delicious treats and useful baking tips here at Baking Bites. In 2017, I published over 185 new recipes for cookies, breads, ice cream and more – and that doesn’t include the dozens of recipes that I shared over on the Craftsy blog, too! I also finished up my new cookbook, Perfectly Creamy Frozen Yogurt, which will be hitting store shelves in the spring (and you should definitely pre-order from your favorite retailer in advance). Before jumping into the new year, here is a look back at the 10 most popular new recipes from 2016. Which is your favorite?
10. Big Banana Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies – These jumbo cookies are loaded with banana, chocolate chips and oatmeal, for a cookie that is just as good as a breakfast treat as an afternoon snack.
9. Fudgy Coffee Flour Chocolate Chip Cookies – Haven’t heard of coffee flour? This nutritionally dense flour is made from coffee beans and it makes for an excellent and very flavorful batch of cookies.
8. Meyer Lemon Snickerdoodles – A generous dose of lemon turns these classic cookies into a treat that is surprisingly refreshing. Pair them with coffee in the winter and turn them into ice cream sandwiches in the summer.
7. Chocolate Cheesecake Mousse – Easier to make than traditional cheesecake, this cheesecake-inspired mousse is an elegant dessert that makes a perfect ending to a dinner party. Did I mention it was easy to make?
6. Brown Sugar Cinnamon Blondies – A dose of brown sugar and a dash of warm cinnamon turns a simple blondie recipe into an addictive treat that will become a fast favorite in your household.
5. Sour Cream Blueberry Coffee Cake with Brown Sugar Streusel – A streusel topping makes every baked good even more delicious, and this wonderfully rich sour cream coffee cake is no exception. Try it with raspberries and blueberries for an easy twist!
4. Everyday Lemon Cake – Feel like baking but don’t have a lot of time? This unfussy lemon cake is just the thing you need. Not only is it quick and easy to put together, it has a delicious balance of sweet and tart lemon in every bite.
3. Homemade Goth Ice Cream – Activated charcoal as a natural food coloring was very popular in 2017, so it’s no surprise that my guide to making “goth” ice cream at home made the top list of the year. The color is surprising, but this vanilla mint ice cream is amazing!
2. One Bowl Coconut Muffins – In less time than it takes to preheat your oven, you can put together these unbelievably good coconut muffins. Bring them out at your next brunch – or simply treat yourself to them on a morning you didn’t think you had time to bake!
1. The Best No Mixer Sugar Cookies – There are lots of sugar cookie recipes out there, but there are few that don’t start by creaming together butter and sugar with a mixer. These cookies use vegetable oil, not butter, are amazingly good when baked. I’m not surprised that this simple recipe turned out to be my most popular new recipe of the year.
Of course, recipes aren’t the only things I post around here and my posts on How to Use Freeze Dried Fruit in Baking and Why Cheesecakes Crack – and How to Avoid It were two of my most popular baking tips of the year. As always, leave a comment if you have any requests or questions for the new year.