- Firecracker popsicles are an ice cream truck staple, with layers of red, white and blue that look both delicious and refreshing. Becca Bakes made a homemade version of Firecracker Popsicles with layers of blueberry and strawberry popsicles, made with real fruit, sandwiching a layer of vanilla frozen yogurt. The popsicle is easy to layer, although there is a little waiting time as each layer freezes, and the look and flavor of the finished pop is something that a commercially made pop might find hard to beat.
- Cookistry baked up a Red, White and Blue Poke Cake that will bring a patriotic tye dye to your 4th of July celebration. A poke cake is one made by pouring jello over the top of an already baked white cake that has had holes poked in the top. The Jello flavors the cake and gives each slice a bright, colorful look. In the case of this cake, you get a swirl of blue and red on top of a white cake. Top it with whipped cream and red and blue berries to finish the look before serving.
- The Summer Berry Pizza that Magnolia Days recently baked is not your typical pizza – and that is because it is a dessert pizza. The pizza starts out with a regular pizza crust that is baked until it is crisp, then it is cooled and topped with a mixture of mascarpone cheese, lemon juice, and honey, and finished off with lots of fresh berries. It’s almost like a supersized danish, and could easily be served for breakfast as well as dessert. This one is finished with a little bit of glaze, but to add some extra sweetness to the crust, you could sprinkle it with sugar or cinnamon sugar before baking.
- Sweet, salt, chocolate, booze and ice cream are all elements that you’ll find in the Saltine Brownie & Bourbon Ice Cream Sandwiches that The Baking Bird put together. These decadent ice cream sandwiches are built on a layer of brownies that are baked on top of a layer of crispy, salty saltine crackers. Once cooled, they’re topped with a no-churn bourbon ice cream that really goes well with chocolate, then topped with another layer of saltine crackers that adds just the right touch of salt and provides a convenient cutting guide so that your sandwiches slice neatly when you’re ready to serve them.
- If you want to try a new variation on a classic brownie recipe, the Melted Marshmallow Brownies from Cookie Madness are a good place to start. These brownies have mini marshmallows incorporated into the brownie batter with the idea that they will melt into the chocolaty batter and leave behind air pockets and layers of caramelized sugar that add sweetness, chewiness and crunch to the brownies. It’s a fun idea because you don’t usually want to find air pockets in your baked goods – but when they are delicious air pockets, you’ll probably want to re-think that idea!
Red, White and Blue Panna Cotta
How to make Red, White and Blue Swirl Whipped Cream