- Citrus fruits of all shapes and sizes are in season right now and there is no reason to limit your citrus-infused baking to lemons and limes. Coley Cooks made some Pomelo Bars, a twist on classic lemon bars. that showcases this unusual citrus fruit. Pomelos are the largest citrust fruit and resemble a very big grapefruit. Their flavor profile is similar to that of a pink grapefruit, too, but they have a milder overall flavor and less bitterness. The creamy bars showcase the fruit’s flavor and contrast the custardy topping with a crisp shortbread crust.
- Kirbie Cravings‘ Donut Mug Cake is one of the cutest desserts I’ve seen in a while! The easy-to-make cake is made in the microwave, like other mug cakes, is made in the microwave. The cake is cored after being “baked” to give it a donut-like hole, then the whole thing is dipped in chocolate ganache to give it the look of a donut. The finished cake almost looks too good to eat and you’ll have just as much fun making them as you will eating them. You might want a second mug of coffee or milk to pair with your “donut,” though!
- Not all layer cakes have to be large enough to serve a dozen people. The Little Lemon Layer Cake from My Dish is Bomb is just six inches in diameter, though it does have two layers, and is perfect for serving just a small group. The cake is made with lemon juice and zest, then it is topped with a lemon-infused frosting to add even more citrus flavor. The cake is topped with raspberries and coconut to give it a splash of color, but you could subsitute them with the berries of your choice or skip them all together in favor of a simpler look.
- Shortbread is known for being a simple cookie that delivers a lot of buttery goodness in each bite. It is not known for being particularly sweet and that makes it a good candidate for a bit of icing, which allows you to decorate your cookies without making them too sugary. The Sugar Coated Cottage made a batch of elegant Buttercream Frosted Shortbread that have the perfect touch of sweetness to them, as well as a very beautiful look. A simple ribbon of buttercream is all the shortbread bars need to go from an everyday tea-time snack to a dessert worthy of a special event.
- Recipe Throwback: The next time you’re in the mood for something a little tropical, consider making a batch of this Pina Colada Bread Pudding. This dessert is made with fresh pineapple, lots of coconut and a hint of rum, capturing all the flavors from the blended cocktail that inspired it. It’s easy to make and can be made ahead of time, making it a great choice for spring and summer entertaining.
My Dish is BombApril 7, 2016
Thanks so much for sharing my recipe 🙂