Valentine’s Day is coming up and I like to bake treats, rather than buy them. I highly recommend my Red Velvet Rocky Road Cake, but I saw lots of delicious looking recipes out there this week that you can use as inspiration!
- Love they Larder‘s Chocolate and Raspberry Tart is as colorful as it is indulgent. The buttery crust is filled with an intense chocolate ganache that is infused with an Amaretto and raspberry coulis, then studded with fresh raspberries and croquant – or candied – almonds. The fresh berries add some brightness to the intense chocolate, while the almonds add a great crunch. This tart is easier to make than you might think, and has a real wow-factor when served.
- When a plain chocolate cake just doesn’t seem special enough, try a Chocolate Cognac Bundt Cake instead. This recipe, from Chew Out Loud is a rich mocha-flavored cake that is generously infused with cognac to give it another complex layer of flavor. The cake doesn’t use any cognac, either. Instead, it uses Grand Marnier, which is a lovely orange-flavored cognac (ideal for adding orange flavor to many cocktails) that works very well with all that chocolate. That cake is finished with a spiked chocolate ganache for extra indulgence.
- Everyday Dishes‘ Easy Heart Shaped Naopleons illustrate how much you can do with a cookie cutter. Puff pastry cut into heart shapes turns a lovely, if ordinary, dessert into one that is perfectly suited to a Valentine’s Day celebration. The layers of buttery pastry are stacked with homemade vanilla pastry cream and drizzled with ganache. Fresh berries would make a wonderful addition to the filling as you assemble your desserts, as well.
- Another heart-shaped sweet comes in the form of some Heart-Shaped Chocolate Shortbread Cookies from She Uncovered. These buttery cookies are easy to make, fun to decorate and delicious to eat. This is a great treat to make if you are decorating cookies with your kids – rather than just preparing a fancy dessert for two – because there are so many ways to finish them off. Serve these with coffee or tea for a tasty after-dinner pairing.
- If you are a fan of red velvet cake, you must try my Red Velvet MochaÂ that I shared on Brewed Daily. This coffee drink doesn’t taste like the cake that inspired it, but it has a rich chocolate flavor and a delightful red hue. It’s easy to make and pretty much guaranteed to put a smile on the face of your Valentine!