There are many ways to enjoy ice cream, and ice cream sandwiches are always a great option. The combination of cookies and ice cream in a package that you can pick up and eat without utensils is a winner with kids both young and old – and when you start making them at home, you are able to play with a lot of different flavor combinations.
- I often have breakfast foods for dinner, since I am a big breakfast fan. Every once in a while, as an adult who gets to make these kinds of decisions, I treat myself to dessert for dinner. The next time I am thinking of indulging a bit, I just might try Confessions of a Chocoholic‘s Bacon Chocolate Shortbread Ice Cream Sandwiches, since they seem to combine breakfast (bacon) and dessert (chocolate) in a neat and delicious package. These ice cream sandwiches start with a tender chocolate cookie base that sandwiches strawberry ice cream rolled in bacon and chocolate chips. There are a lot of flavors, and you’re going to get salty, sweet and chocolate in every bite.
- B Britnell baked some elegant Blackberry Swirl Ice Cream Sandwiches that make good use of fresh summer berries. These light cookies are actually meringues, that have a swirl of blackberry puree “painted” on to them before baking to give them a colorful look. They’re sandwiching a homemade blackberry ice cream that is a beautiful purple color, which looks great against the light colored cookies, in addition to being delicious. You can tinker with the size of these cookies easily, to make generous sandwiches or bite sized ones.
- If you’re looking for indulgence, The Haute Meal‘s Dulce De Leche Cheesecake Ice Cream Sandwiches are a good place to start. These sandwiches have quite a few elements that come together in one amazing ice cream dessert. The filling is a homemade dulce de leche cheesecake ice cream, flanked by two layers of graham cracker shortbread that act as the “crust” of the cheesecake. Each sandwich is covered with a chocolate shell before being served, which helps to catch any drips and also gives you a bit of chocolate crunch in each bite.
- Hot Chocolate Hits‘ Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches might be a little bit too messy to pick up and eat with your hands unless you’re planning on eating them quickly, but getting your fingers sticky is part of the fun of these sandwiches. The sandwiches start with soft, chewy chocolate chip cookies that are topped with a sprinkle of sea salt. That salt ties in nicely to the salted caramel sauce that is swirled into vanilla ice cream – you can use homemade or your favorite brand – for a rich, salty-sweet ice cream filling. IF you’re committed to getting a little messy, serve these in a bowl topped with more salted caramel sauce!
- Strawberry lovers should definitely give my Strawberry Snickerdoodle Ice Cream SandwichesÂ a try this strawberry season. They’re made with chewy strawberry-flavored snickerdoodle cookies, which use freeze dried strawberries instead of the more traditional cinnamon to give them a fruity flavor and an eye-catching pink color, that sandwich your favorite ice cream flavor. You can go with strawberry for an all-strawberry dessert, vanilla for a strawberries n’ cream combination or chocolate if you are a fan of chocolate-dipped strawberries!
Vedika @ Hot Chocolate HitsAugust 7, 2014
Awecome blog, Nicole! And thanks for linking to my post 🙂
Bianca @ Confessions of a ChocoholicAugust 8, 2014
Thank you for including my ice cream sandwiches with the rest of these delicious recipes!