- Churros are a deep fried pastry rolled in sugar or cinnamon sugar, but like donuts, they are a pastry that can also be baked for a slightly healthier take on the the treat. Sprinkle Bakes cooked up some Baked ChurrosÂ recently. The secret to the recipe is that after the churros are baked, you toast them underneath the broiler to make sure that they have the same contrast between the crisp exterior and fluffy interior that deep fried churros have. To serve them like the “real” thing, prepare some chocolate dipping sauce to serve alongside your churros because it goes perfectly with them whether they are baked or fried.
- Chocolate and peanut butter is always a good combination, and Laura’s Sweet Spot‘s Chocolate Peanut Butter Swirl BrowniesÂ have a lot of both. The chewy brownies delivery a good dose of chocolate, and the sweet peanut butter swirl makes the whole thing a lot richer and more decadent. The bars are thick and satisfying, so you’ll be able to serve a crowd with this recipe, making it a great choice for parties and picnics. If you have leftovers, these brownies freeze well and extras can easily be saved for snacking another day.
- Red velvet cake is almost always paired with a cream cheese frosting. Taste and Tell put the cream cheese right into the red velvet in these Red Velvet Cheesecake Cupcakes. The cupcakes are a variation on a black bottom cupcake, which is a chocolate cupake with a dollop of cream cheese filling baked into its center. For these cupcakes, the filling is baked into a base of brightly colored red velvet cake. As if that weren’t enough, the cupcakes are then finished off with a chocolate ganache glaze.
- Oatmeal pies are a type of oatmeal sandwich cookie with a vanilla cream filling inside. They’re often called pies instead of cookies, because they’re much larger than your average sandwich cookie is. Tartlet Sweets baked up some Gluten Free Campfire Oatmeal Cream Pies. This gluten free version of a lunchbox favorite is made with a blend of flours that gives the cookies a chewy texture that goes great with the cream filling (although you could have the cookies plain, too). The cream filling here is a swiss meringue that is toasted lightly with a kitchen torch before serving to give the cookies a toasted marshmallow flavor.
- You can’t go wrong with a loaf of banana bread when you have some overripe bananas, but you also can’t go wrong by collecting variations on that classic for the times when you’re looking for something a little different. Picky Palate‘s Dulce De Leche Chocolate Chip Banana MuffinsÂ are banana muffins taken over-the-top. The muffins start out looking like plain banana bread, but then creamy dulce de leche, cocoa powder and chocolate chips are added to the batter. This gives the muffins an added sweetness and richness – and everything goes well with the flavor of banana.
Stephanie (Velez Delights)February 20, 2013
Loving this round-up!