- Custard Cream Hearts from Eat Little Bird are heart-shaped sandwich cookies where a light vanilla filling is sandwiched between two tender, crumbly biscuits. The recipe calls for custard powder, a starch-based (usually cornstarch) thickener that is used to easily make puddings and custards without eggs – to make the cream filling. Custard powder also includes flavoring and coloring. This isn’t an ingredient that most people in the US are going to have at home, but it’s easy to find at specialty/import markets and makes custard-making a snap.
- If you have a donut baking pan in your kitchen, you’re probably always on the lookout for new recipes to try it with – after all, a baked donut is a much healthier than a fried donut, right? The Cupcake Avenger‘s Chocolate and Cream Cheese Red Velvet Donuts are an indulgence worth baking up. These donuts are tender and fluffy, as they are made with cake flour, and have a texture that is lot like a regular cupcake. Cream cheese glaze fits very well with the red velvet cake donuts, but a chocolate glaze recipe looks just as nice and makes these a little more dessert-like.
- The Whole Wheat Valentine Sandwich Cookies from Dianasaur Dishes aren’t just for Valentine’s Day, even though using a couple of heart-shaped cookie cutters certainly makes them perfect for that occasion. These cookies are made with a basic sugar cookie dough that can be rolled out and cut into any shape you want, and unlike other sugar cookie recipes, they’re made with whole wheat flour. It’s nice to include a few more whole grains into a favorite treat and this is an easy way to do it. The buttery cookies are still sweet and flavorful, perfect for filling with your favorite jam or ganache to make some sandwich cookies.
- There is something aboutÂ Jungle Frog Cooking‘s Lemon Poppyseed Cupcakes that really reminds me of springtime. Lemon poppyseed is a popular combination for muffins and cakes, but isn’t seen quite as often in cupcake form – although we’ve all clearly been missing out because of it. These cupcakes are light and tender, made with a mixture of wheat flour and almond flour. The buttercream icing is flavored with a little bit of lemon juice and tinted to a lovely buttercup color with some yellow food coloring. Put them in some pastel cupcake wrappers (to contrast with the pastel icing)Â and they’re just about perfect for any springtime celebration.
- Chocolate covered strawberries always look so indulgent, as they combine two foods that are often associated with indulgence, sweetness and special occasions. Yammie’s Noshery turned this treat into Chocolate Covered Strawberry Milkshakes, easy to make shakes that allow you to experience chocolate covered strawberries in a whole new way. The shakes start with strawberries and ice cream, which are blended together until very smooth. Pour the mixture into a glass and top off with homemade hot fudge sauce. The sauce could be used on any kind of frozen dessert, but when poured on top of the milkshake, it sets on the top and sides of the glass, making the milkshake look a lot like a real chocolate-covered strawberry!
What do you think?