- The Butterfinger Oatmeal Cookies I made recently call for using a store-bought candy bar to impart a peanut butter toffee flavor to the cookies. They’re good, but if you don’t want to use a store bought candy bar (because who doesn’t prefer homemade treats and baked goods!), take a look at the Homemade Butterfinger Candy that Not Without Salt made. These candies start sugar that is cooked to a high temperature, just under hard crack stage, that then has a generous amount of peanut butter stirred into it. The result is a lot like the candy you can by at the store, but with cleaner flavors and the satisfaction of having done it yourself.
- Chasing Delicious‘s Mint Chocolate Chip Cupcakes were inspired by the chocolate and mint combination of Thin Mint Girl Scout Cookies, but offer those flavors in a much larger and much softer package than the classic cookie. The cupcakes are made with cocoa powder and have chopped semisweet chocolate folded in to boost their chocolate flavor. There is peppermint in the cupcakes, but you get a stronger dose of it from the creamy frosting that tops off the cupcakes. Girl Scout cookies aside, chocolate and mint is a great combination and these cupcakes will definitely hit the spot for anyone who is a fan.
- Banana bread is usually a quickbread, made with a muffin-like batter and baked in a loaf pan. The Cinnamon Raisin Swirl Banana Bread from Crepes of Wrath is a little different from the classic banana bread because it is a yeast bread. The dough is made with mashed banana, for moisture and flavor, and it is wrapped around a cinnamon sugar filling before being baked. The result is a soft, tender loaf with a good blend of banana and cinnamon flavors that manages to be lighter and slightly more indulgent than the classic quickbread.
- Cheesecake is good plain, with chocolate chips and when it is laced with fruit and topped with streusel, as the Blueberry Lemon Cheesecake Bars that A Bitchin’ Kitchen recently made. Fresh blueberries dot this cheesecake, and fresh lemon zest is what provides the lemon flavor of the batter. The buttery streusel is made with brown sugar and has almonds added, for crunch. It’s a good basic recipe that gives you some flexibility, so you could try substituting raspberries or lime zest into this recipe when you’re looking for a variation.
- If you like a little coffee in your coffee cake, you might want to try the Espresso Coffee Cake from Shove it in Your Face. It has a very unusual element to it, in that you make your own butter for the cake out of espresso-infused heavy cream. The freshly whipped espresso butter and the remaining buttermilk are both incorporated into the cake. The coffee cake can be served plain or it can be served with a scoop of cake-infused ice cream, which is a creation made by crumbling up some of that cake into a rich ice cream base.
Reynolds StayBrite Baking Cups, reviewed
Lemon Blackberry Coffee Cake with Lemon Streusel
Crepes of WrathAugust 3, 2011
Thanks for linking to me – great round up, as always!
MalcomAugust 3, 2011
I loved all the recipes that you posted and i am sure that these will be liked by all. I am going to my mom to make some of those recipes as i am exited to taste them.
Carole ResnickAugust 3, 2011
I purchased Butterfinger Candy Pieces which I will use in your cookies as soon as the heat breaks.