We’ve been experiencing a heat wave over the past few weeks, so I’ve been churning up batches of ice cream instead of turning on my oven – at least, I have been some of the time because I can’t resist homemade cookies even during a heat wave. End-of-summer heat waves aren’t uncommon and remind us to get in a few rounds of our summer favorites before we jump into pumpkin spice season.
- Stock your freezer with BitterSweet‘s Tirami-Sake Pops and you’ll have a tasty way to cool down any time. These vegan pops use non-dairy cream cheese and milk to make the base for a creamy, coffee-flavored popsicle that is packed with crushed vanilla cookies and flavored with a hint of cocoa. They’re easier to make than a traditional tiramisu, too.
- I am a big fan of roasted fruit, so Cooking with a Wallflower‘s No Churn Roasted Peach Lemon Basil Ice Cream caught my eye right away. While the name is a bit of a mouthful, you can expect to get a mouth full of wonderful flavors with each bite. It’s refreshing, fruity and rich all at the same time – and did I mention that it’s a no churn recipe, so no ice cream maker is required.
- The Mini Almond Pear Galettes from Truffles and Trends are meant to be served warm, but they’re also meant to be served with a scoop of cold vanilla ice cream on top. The contrast between hot tart and cold ice cream is one of the things that makes these mini desserts so delicious, but so is the contrast between the tender pears, sweet almond filling and crisp pastry crust. These are easy enough for an “everyday” dessert, but pretty enough to be served at a dinner party, too.
- Sweet Cannela‘s Popcorn Ice Cream is the summer snack that you dodn’t know you needed. The ice cream starts with frehsly popped popcorn, to which a milk mixture is added to form the base of the ice cream. The popcorn is allowed to dissolve in the milk, infusing it with flavor, before it is strained out. The finished ice cream is sweet, creamy and full of unexpected flavor.
- Recipe Throwback: You may think that ice cream cakes are just for kids, but this elegant Mint Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Cake is a showstopper that everyone will love. Made from scratch with a chocolate cake base, you’ll never buy an ice cream cake again!