With brunch season in full swing, I’m always on the lookout for tasty additions to a weekend entertaining menu. Coffee cakes, muffins and quick breads are some of my favorites, because they’re easy to make and share. Get out your loaf pans because this week’s BfoB is dedicated to quick breads and loaf cakes that you’ll want to add to your rotation this season.
- The Cozy Apron‘s Lemony Blueberry Muffin Bread with Oat Streusel Topping has brunch written all over it. The quick mix bread is very tender, as it includes both buttermilk and sour cream. Those two ingredients create a nice base to showcase the fresh blueberries and bright lemon zest that are mixed in. The loaf is topped with a brown sugar and oat streusel that adds a great texture and nutty flavor to each slice.
- If you haven’t had enough of the unicorn trend (and I haven’t), than Just a Taste‘s Unicorn Banana Bread is for you. The loaf relies on a careful hand with food coloring to get its bright, tie-dye look. Gel food colorings tend to deliver more vivid colors than water-based food colorings, so keep that in mind when you’re out picking up supplies. The loaf itself is a moist bread made with plenty of mashed bananas and sour cream.
- The Matcha Pound Cake from In Cookie Haven is a colorful twist on a classic pound cake. The tight-crumbed cake is buttery and rich, with just the right amount of matcha powder to give it a beautiful green hue and a subtle flavor. If you love matcha, you can actually increase the green tea powder easily in this recipe to give it a more intense flavor, too. The cake should be served with a side of whipped cream and dusted with a bit of extra matcha for color.
- Grapefruit is the star of the show in the Grapefruit-Poppy Seed Loaf Cake with Yogurt Glaze from First Look, Then Cook. The easy loaf is loaded with grapefruit zest and fresh grapefruit juice, as well as with yogurt both in the batter and in the glaze. Poppyseeds make a nice addition, adding a little bit of texture to the tender cake.
- Recipe Throwback: It’s a bit early for zucchini, but it’s never to early to plan the recipes you’re going to make once they’re at their peak. My One Bowl Zucchini Bread is an easy and delicious way to put that summer squash to good use. The bread is versatile, too, as it can be dressed up with a wide variety of mix-ins to keep things interesting.