This week is #NegroniWeek, so I decided to focus on cocktails for most of this week’s installment of Bites from other Blogs. You can read all about the event here, then raise a toast of this classic cocktail to charity to celebrate.
- The Classic Negroni on Barman’s Journal is made with equal parts gin, Campari and sweet vermouth. Since this cocktail is so simple, it is worth using a good quality gin and a high quality sweet vermouth for best results. Campari, an Italian aperitif known for its bright red color and bitter orange flavor, gives the cocktail its signature look and flavor.
- Food Fanatic‘s Negroni Granita adds blood orange soda and simple syrup to the basic cocktail ingredients to create a slushy dessert that is an ideal dish for a hot summer night. The granita requires no special equipment to prepare it, so you can easily make it even if you don’t have an ice cream maker. Serve your granita in cocktail glasses and garnish each serving with an orange slice.
- The Negroni Poached Pears from Spicy Ice Cream offer another cocktail-infused dessert option for your next dinner party. The pears are poached in a Negroni bath that is infused with spices such as cinnamon, star anise and vanilla. After the pears are poached, sugar is added to the liquid and it is reduced into a thick, flavorful syrup to be spooned on top of the tender fruit.
- My Negroni Pie is a creamy pie that uses gin, Campari and sweet vermouth to create a very sophisticated filling that definitely captures the flavor of the cocktail that inspired it. The method for making this pie is similar to that of key lime pie and it uses sweetened condensed milk to give the filling its silky texture and to contrast with the bitter orange flavor of the Campari. It’s grown up and its very delicious.
- Recipe Throwback: It was just a few years ago that I shared this recipe for Chocolate Chip Treasures Cookies. These oversize cookies are made with sweetened condensed milk, which gives the cookies a unique sweetness and a chewy texture. The cookies are packed with shredded coconut, chocolate chips and walnuts, and get additional flavor from cinnamon and graham cracker crumbs.