- Brownies are a staple recipe, like chocolate chip cookies or banana bread, and it never hurts to have a few ideas for variations so that you can jazz them up a bit. London Bakes‘ Orange and Almond Brownies are decadent, flourless brownies that are infused with orange zest and ground almonds, which gives them a unique flavor. The brownies are very rich, with an intense chocolate flavor. They use 12 ounces of dark chocolate, as well as a generous amount of cocoa powder. Unlike other brownie recipes, they’re sweetened with honey instead of sugar, which goes well with the floral orange notes in the finished product.
- A creamsicle is a popsicle with both orange and vanilla cream components that has a distinct and delicious flavor. Oui Chef wanted to put these flavors in a different format for an Orange Creamsicle Cheesecake. The cheesecake gets its potent orange flavor from Cointreau and orange extract, while the cream elements come from heavy cream, sour cream and – of course – cream cheese. A little bit of orange zest in the graham cracker crust ties the crust in to the creamsicle theme, too. The flavors work very well and deliver a cheesecake that tastes like it could have come from the ice cream truck – only much, much better.
- The Poppyseed Thumbprints that Technicolor Kitchen recently baked are a relatively simple cookie, but one that never goes out of style. You make them by poking your thumb into a ball of buttery cookie dough to create a pocket that is filled with jam. The jam bakes into the cookie and almost looks like a colorful jewel after baking. Just about any flavor of jam will go with the cookie dough, which has a nice look and texture from the poppy seeds. For a little change of pace, you could try this recipe with chia seeds, as well.
- Rhubarb is in season in the spring, so fans of its sweet-tart flavor have to make the most of it during a relatively short season. Rhubarb is often paired with berries, but it can also be good on its own, and that is how it is featured in These Roasted Vanilla Rhubarb Shortcakes from Hummingbird High. Rhubarb is roasted in the oven with red wine, vanilla and sugar until it is tender and its juices (and the wine) are syrupy and sweet. The roasted rhubarb is served with homemade shortcake biscuits and plenty of vanilla whipped cream, and turns into a simple looking dessert that is packed with flavor.
- Sometimes you find inspiration in unusual places, and Noble Pig found the inspiration for a batch of cookies in a box of cereal. Her Dark Chocolate Sea Salt Kashi Cereal Cookies. The spin on regular chocolate chip cookies involved using Kashi Go Lean cereal in place of some of the chocolate chips. The crunchy, chunky cereal added some great texture to the cookies and actually helped keep their interior pleasantly chewy. A generous pinch of sea salt brings all of the flavors together and will keep you coming back for seconds.
How long should melted butter cool before using it in a recipe?
Fluffernutter Whoopie Pies