- There are so many desserts that you can make with ripe bananas that it can be difficult to narrow down your options when staring at a bunch that is ready to use. The Banana Cream Pie Cupcakes from Annie’s Eats are a good place to start. The cupcakes are a little time intensive compared to some other cupcake recipes, but they are worth every moment of effort. Vanilla bean cupcakes are filled with homemade pastry cream and slices of fresh bananas. The cupcakes are then topped with whipped cream, another banana slice and a piece of crispy pie crust that ensures you remember where the inspiration for these indulgent cakes came from.
- Pinch of Yum‘s Malted Double Chocolate Chip Cookies have a healthy dose of malted milk powder that works very well in these vanilla-laced chocolate chip cookies. These cookies do use shortening, and this recipe provides a good example of why vegetable shortening can be a great ingredient in cookies: the shortening doesn’t add any extra flavor itself and so the other flavors in the cookie (malt and vanilla) can really come through. These cookies are reminiscent of chocolate malted soda fountain drinks and have that great addictive quality that malty foods do. Be sure to serve these with a big glass of milk. If you want to take them over the top, consider using them to make ice cream sandwiches.
- Another malty recipe can be found at Culinary Concoctions by Peabody with her Malted Milk Marshmallows. These homemade marshmallows have malted milk powder incorporated right into them, giving them a nice malty flavor to go with the vanilla sweetness of the regular marshmallow. They’re perfect for melting into a big mug of hot chocolate. And be sure to choose a big mug, as homemade marshmallows tend to be a bit on the large side and you’re going to want to fit as many as you can into that hot chocolate!
- Homemade waffles definitely qualify as comfort food, and when you make the Waffles with Southern Comfort Praline Sauce that Confections’ of a Foodie Bride did, it is even moreso. The waffles themselves are light and fluffy, and can be made in either a regular or Belgian-style waffle maker. The syrup is made with maple syrup, brown sugar, butter and a good splash of Southern Comfort. Toasted pecans are added to the syrup to highlight its nuttiness and to add some crunch to the dish. It’s a great combination for breakfast, but it’s also worth noting that the elements of this recipe can also be used with other dishes and you might find yourself making plain waffles and Southern Comfort Praline ice cream sundaes in the future.
- The Almond Joy Cookies that Heather Christo Cooks recently baked are inspired by the elements that make up the popular almond joy candy bars: coconut, almond and chocolate. These are chocolate chip cookies that are densely packed with shredded coconut and studded generously with slivered almonds and chocolate chips. Chewy and buttery, these cookies are good for any coconut lover and are probably a lot more satisfying to make and eat than eating one of the candy bars of the same name.
Nestle Toll House Dark Chocolate Baking Bar, reviewed
Cinnamon Streusel-Topped Cherry Crisps