Like Valentine’s Day, Mother’s Day is a day that many people celebrate with gifts of flowers and chocolate, as well as by going out to eat. I prefer to stay in on Mother’s Day and have brunch at home. I know that I’ll get great food when it comes out of my own kitchen and you get to skip the hassle of eating out on one of the busiest days of the year for the restaurant industry. Plus, making the meal itself is a gift to Mom – or, at least, doing all the cleanup so she doesn’t have to can be! This year, I am going with a chocolate themed menu for brunch. There is never a bad time of day for chocolate and if your Mom likes it as much as mine, any one of these dishes is sure to be a hit!
- French toast is one of my favorite brunch items and Chocolate French Toast – served with a drizzle of chocolate syrup, instead of maple syrup if you really want it to be decadent – is a must for chocolate lovers. Add some bacon and make it into a chocolate french toast and bacon sandwich if you want a salty-sweet element to brunch.
- Chocolate Waffles are another very chocolaty brunch item. These waffles are crisp and tender, with a good chocolate flavor from a generous amount of cocoa powder in the batter. These are great with fresh fruit.
- If pancakes are your brunch item of choice, Chocolate Chip Pancakes are the way to go. It is easy to throw chocolate chips into your favorite pancake recipe and those chips will melt as the pancakes cook, leaving you with deliciously melting bits of chocolate in just about every bite of pancake.
- For something that is not at all traditional brunch fare, but is a fantastic item to serve at a celebration, try your hand at Churros con Chocolate. These homemade churros are light and crisp, and are served with a rich chocolate dipping sauce that is a must-try for any chocolate lover. The churros also make a fantastic after dinner treat.
- Banana Nutella Bran Muffins are decadent and healthy at the same time, and are a nice balanced item to add to the brunch menu. If your mom is a real Nutella fan, try making a batch of Homemade Nutella to spread on toast or simply to give her as a gift.