Easter is a holiday that moves around – but it is also a holiday that always falls on a Sunday, which is nice because it gives you plenty of time over the weekend to decorate easter eggs and do some Easter baking. Here are a half dozen ideas to get you started, all of which are easy to make and fantastic to serve at an Easter brunch – or just to enjoy at home with family, a cup of hot coffee and a giant chocolate bunny.
- A Braided Easter Egg Bread is one of my favorite breads to make for this holiday. It is a beautiful bread that is lightly sweet and buttery, that reminds me a lot of challah, pashka or similar egg breads. Not only is it tasty, but the bread is topped off with dyed Easter eggs and has an especially festive look to it!
- Easter Egg Shortbread Cookies are also topped off with Easter eggs – but they’re topped with chocolate ones. Take any brand of small, hard-shelled Easter egg candies and press them into these cookies while they’re still warm for a very fun way to easily decorate a cookie for the holiday.
- Hot Cross Buns are traditionally served on Good Friday, a few days before Easter, but the light and lightly spiced rolls make a nice addition to an Easter brunch if you serve them with butter and jam.
- Brightly-colored marshmallow Peeps are an Easter favorite and something that many people look forward to even more than Cadbury Creme Eggs. Peeps Cupcakes are vanilla cupcakes decorated with a nod towards sugar-coated Peeps, and they use whole marshmallows for garnish.
- Speaking of Cadbury Creme Eggs, did you know that you can bake them into a batch of Cadbury Creme Egg Muffins? The muffins have a whole Creme Egg baked into the middle for a sweet surprise when you take a bite. I find that mini Creme Eggs give the best egg-to-muffin ratio, but even whole Creme Eggs will work with the recipe. You can also put them to good use in a hot cup of Cadbury Creme Egg Coffee (which is not nearly as sweet as it sounds!).
- Finally, Lemon Buttermilk Easter Cookies are a great cookie recipe to bake for Easter. They are soft and have a nice lemon flavor that makes them perfect for the springtime. This is a cut out cookie recipe that is easy to decorate with a simple icing. I like to use a bunny shaped cookie cutter, but all you really need is a round cutter and you can decorate your cookies to look like festive Easter eggs.