- It’s nice to have a slice of freshly baked bread to accompany a meal, but we don’t always plan in advance to have a yeasted loaf proofed and ready to go into the oven with dinner. This is exactly why it’s nice to have a savory quickbread recipe on hand, like the Cheese, Olive and Buttermilk Herb Bread that Sugar & Everything Nice baked. This bread is a very flavorful addition to just about any meal, made with Parmesan and cheddar cheeses, olives, sundried tomatoes and fresh herbs. You can also use different cheeses and herbs to spice up the bread for variety, or to go with the flavors of a particular meal!
- Chocolate and orange are flavors that pair very well together, and Passionate About Baking‘s Dark Chocolate and Sour Orange Walnut Tartlets are a great example of how well they work. The tartlets are made with a rich chocolate pastry cream that has a lightly sweetened sour orange (a bit like a mini tangerine) puree added to it, lightening the intense flavor of the chocolate. The buttery crust is enriched with walnuts and contains a small amount of rice flour that helps to keep the crust tender and crumbly, insuring that it gives a great contrast to the creamy pastry filling. It’s also a base that would work well with other tart fillings, and might be one to file away for future reference.
- There are few desserts that can’t be improved by the addition of a drizzle of salted caramel and the Salted Caramel Apple Tart from Gratinee Blog is one of them. This simple tart starts out very basic, just apple slices layered on top of a sheet of buttery, homemade pastry. Before going into the oven, however, those apples are generously doused with salted caramel sauce, infusing richness and a sweet-savory note into the dessert. The flavors all meld together in the oven and the tart is served with even more caramel sauce – and a big scoopful of vanilla ice cream to finish it off.
- Not Quite Nigella‘s Serpents Coil Pastry is a showstopper. This beautiful pastry is a buttery spiral of crisp filo dough rolled around a filling of spinach, a blend of cheeses, garlic and nuts. It’s not unlike a Greek spanakopita, but with a very dramatic presentation. It’s the kind of dish that makes a great appetizer when cut into small portions and can also stand in as a vegetarian entree with dinner.
- There are many desserts that are complimented by the cookies n’ cream flavor of Oreo cookies and cheesecake is one of them. Brown Eyed Baker didn’t want to settle for just another cheesecake, however, and combined those flavors in Oreo Cheesecake Cookies. The cookies are cheesecake flavored and made with a generous amount of butter and cream cheese. They are studded with mini chocolate chips and rolled in Oreo cookie crumbs to finish them off. They’re a great way to get your cheesecake fix on short notice.
Nellie & Joe's Famous Key West Lime Juice, reviewed
Chocolate Spice Tomato Soup Cupcakes