I hope that at least a few of you are football fans, like I am, but even if you’re not, I know that the biggest thing going this weekend is the Super Bowl and that many of you will be watching it (or at least checking out some of the commercials), or entertaining friends while the game plays in the background. Naturally, you’ll need some food to sustain you while you watch. Here are a few of my favorites from around the site, many of which will be making an appearance during my Super Bowl get together.
- Parmesan Pretzel Sticks are a new favorite. They’re pretty easy to make and great for dipping in just about anything. If you have kids coming, you can give them the job of rolling the sticks so they don’t get bored while the grownups are watching the game.
- I always have chili – Turkey or Beef – during the game, along with a variety of toppings. I like to put out cheese, sour cream, green onions, regular diced onions, and chocolate chips (yes, they’re actually good with beef chili!). And cornbread is a must-have side, too.
- You can’t have corn chips or nachos without salsa and guacamole, and Chipotle Guacamole is a cross between the two, with heat from the peppers and creaminess from the avocado. You can’t go wrong with Hot Artichoke Dip, either.
- Apparently, Super Bowl Sunday is the busiest day of the year for pizza delivery, and while I prefer chili during football games, I would much rather make my own pizza than get a greasy delivered one.
- And for dessert, I like things that can be made ahead and can be eaten with your hands – no cakes or pies, thank you. Blondies, brownies and cheesecake bars are easy crowd pleasers, but I also like S’mores Cookie bars (notice a theme with the bar cookies?). As an additional selling point for these types of sweets, they can all be cut into small pieces, so you’ll still have room for a few bites even after a pretty hearty meal.
- If you want something themed, to support your team, make Black and White Cookies and tint the frosting (make a double batch of white and skip the chocolate) to your team’s color’s. I did this last year when I was rooting for the Colts and the cookies, pictured above, were a huge hit.
And yes, I would love to invite each and every one of you if I could. If only my house were just a bit bigger….